As the saying goes – you are what you eat. The same thing can be said for our furry family members! Whether your pet is in perfect shape, overweight, underweight or has a diagnosed illness, nutrition counselling can help them stay as healthy as possible. Don’t think twice to call us at 905.685.7349 for more details on our nutrition counselling services.
What happens during pet nutrition counselling?
Although each patient is unique and will require a different approach, nutrition counselling usually involves the following:
- You and the vet will have a conversation about your concerns and goals for your pet
- A physical exam will be conducted on your pet along with diagnostic testing if needed (e.g. bloodwork, urine sampling, X-ray)
- We will make recommendations on diet, serving sizes, frequency, feeding style and more
- You will be shown some tips and techniques on how to apply this plan to your daily routine
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to track progress and make tweaks as needed
How do I know if my pet has a good diet?
The best way to know for sure is to consult with your veterinarian. Observe your pet’s appearance, energy levels, mood and agility. If they have a dull coat, are tired easily or cannot move around according to their age, then they may not be getting all the nutrients they need to thrive.