Fleas, ticks, worms and more – your pet can get parasites anywhere, all year round. From minor skin rashes to permanent organ damage and even death, they cause all types of problems. Our team of licensed veterinarians and registered veterinary technicians can help keep your pet protected. Simply call us at 905.685.7349 to learn more.
What is the best way to protect my pet from parasites?
The best defense against all types of parasites is preventive medications. They come in different forms (oral, topical, etc.) and dosing schedules. Your pet should take them regularly all throughout the year. Many parasites are around even during the winter. Even indoor pets can be exposed to parasites through you, other people, objects, pets and other animals that enter your home. Below are some other ways to reduce your pet’s exposure to parasites:
- Get rid of any stagnant water in your home or yard
- Clean your pet’s toys, bowls and other items regularly
- Prevent your pet from touching dead animals or feces
- Take your pet to the vet for regular checkups and screenings (at least once per year)
How do I know if my pet is infected with parasites?
Great question! Keep an eye out for the following symptoms. They can be a sign your pet has one or a combination of parasites. Don’t hesitate to call us right away if you think there is something wrong with your pet’s well-being.
- Excess scratching and itching
- Scooting or dragging of their rear on the floor/other surfaces
- Black pepper-like appearance on their coat (flea dirt)
- Pot belly
- Sudden weight loss